The assignment that led to the creation of the Gaslight District project was to create a company and design a standards manual detailing the logo usage, application examples, and so forth. I had recently found a great collection of victorian period merchandise and decided I’d focus my project around a victorian inspired haberdashery, and named it the Gaslight District. The Gaslight District would feature both authentic recreations of Victorian menswear and modern interpretations of Victorian style.
I very rarely have visual ideas pop into my head, but this was one of the rare times when I had the Edison-style lightbulb appear over my head: Lion with a top hat and a cane. Toss on a monocle and boom, best logo ever. When I was building out this new portfolio I realized how janky of the type in the logo was, so I fixed it for the thumbnails and on the above banner. You can see the older version in use below.